Monday 10 January 2011

Shopping!

Thanks to a combination of a new job, Christmas, a broken sewing machine and two utterly disastrous pieces, I haven’t completed anything wearable since September. So, armed with Christmas spends and sense of optimism, I went to see if my favourite fabric shop, Fabrics Galore in Lavender Hill (there's a link on the right), was having a January sale.

Hooray for optimism!

I was very excited by my haul, and have already started using some of it. I am aiming for the perfect Summer wardrobe of swishy full skirts and vintage-y dresses, in the hope that the beauty of my clothes will detract from my pasty legs, and sun-induced freckles.


Bows 1

This is a stretch jersey, which is something I’ve wanted to experiment with for a while. It was £1/m, and I would actually wear something made in this – maybe a slouchy boyfriend cardi.

Paisley 1

I rather ungracefully dived for this after seeing it out of the corner of my eye whilst queuing. £2/m, and I had the last 2.5m on the bolt. I’m still not sure what to do with it, yet, but that’s part of the fun.


Fobs 1
This is my treat. 2m of Liberty fabric, for a (comparatively) bargainous £24. I love the print, fobs and watch faces - a full-skirted dress in this print is exactly the sort of thing my imaginary self-insert Doctor's companion would flounce around the TARDIS in (seriously, this is all plotted out in my head, thanks to occasional bouts of insomnia. There is a full imaginary wardrobe of vintage watch and star prints).

This shop is known for it’s end-of-line Liberty stuff, I just wish I could afford it all. When I am very, very good at this, I am going back for some Liberty silk. They currently have it at £18/m, which is less than half what you’d pay in Liberty itself, and I can’t imagine anything more luxurious.



Summer 1

This stuff, though, this is my real star. It was the first thing I saw as I walked in, and it took me a couple of laps to pick it up, but I’m so glad I did. It has grown on me immensely. It was £1/m, and I bought 4m, and am already well on my way to turning it in the most perfect Summer dress. I’m slightly obsessed with it – as we live in a flat, I try not to use the sewing machine after 11pm as it’s a rattly little blighter, but I could have stayed up all night working on this.

So, mission accomplished. I have got back on my sewing horse, as it were, and hopefully you will see the results very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment